You’ve no doubt heard the importance to take time to work on the business rather than always working in the business.
If you haven’t heard this, it’s an important concept for any business person to tackle.
Working in the business only leads to fire drills
Most business owners, entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, managers, directors become incredibly busy. They find themselves working in the business continually.
Fire drills and firefighting becomes the norm. Often working until they become burnt out.
Here’s an obvious tip: Leave the fire fighting to the professionals!
The trick then becomes to take time to work on the business. Time set aside to determine what is most important for the business, for the organization. Then, clarify what is to be accomplished and the steps to get there. We all know these steps.
However, Execution is the challenge
Before execution turns into more fire drills and activity with no progress consider where the issues occur.
- More accountability and delegation.
- Improved teamwork.
- Better problem solving.
- Improved communication.
- Better planning and execution.
Watch your activities through the day. Identify any issues around this list. This helps set the foundation when you take time to work on the business. And it pays dividends over time for you.
Take time to work on the business then excellent execution becomes the norm.
7 key signs to take time to work on the business
You may have to look long and hard into the mirror. It comes down to some sincere introspection if you, your projects, your business aren’t performing. It is time to work on the business.
Key signs you may need some serious “time to work on the business” so you can grow…
- I’m already on my way, however, all kinds of other problems throw me off track.
- I’m ready, it’s my staff that’s not ready.
- I know what to do, our sales team, marketing team, support team, product team don’t do their part.
- The to do lists are out of control. I’m too busy.
- I have to fight fires all the time.
- I don’t have time for this nonsense.
And the one sign that you really are ready for the next step of growth…
- “I’m ready. I need to take the next step. Plus, I’ll help others take the necessary steps.”
To learn more
Give me a call at 503-753-9971 or contact me at Phil@PhilBride.com and let’s spend a few minutes to talk about your situation.
If you are ready to take time to work on the business, I can help…
- Keep businesses and professionals on track and tighten up execution.
- Identify areas that could stall progress when things do not go well.
- Get professionals and teams focused and stop wasting time.
- Continue to improve those things put in place, then make them even better.
- Shore up missing skills.
Take 30 minutes and let’s talk (don’t worry it’s free).
Up your game. Make things happen.